Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Engineering Prodigies?


The other day we were coming home from the library. The farmer down the street was cutting down the wheat in his field. "Look guys. Mr Duncan is cutting down his wheat." "Oh yea," they replied. "Do you think he'll be cutting the wheat in our field today?'' "I don't know what his schedule is. Why? Did you want to watch?" I asked wondering. "No we just have some things in the field." A little more than curious, I asked "What things?" "Oh nothing. Could you just let us out here Mom?" they asked as I got to the edge of our field. I stopped and opened the door and waited as they collected their 'stuff.' 2 shovels, AA batteries in a plastic bag, a tape measure and a headlight flashlight in another plastic bag. I had to laugh, even as I thought of the accident that could have occurred when the unsuspecting farmer ploughed over the shovels.
Why is this funny? Well you had to be with us the week before as we were pulling weeds out of the garden. All 3 were discussing plans for building a tunnel to the Schell's and Madison's homes because then 'they could go there whenever they wanted.' Not to put a damper on things, but I reminded them that it would still be quite a walk, even in a tunnel. So they decided they were going to build a train. We discussed how they were going to finance this. Well, the plan is for Tyler to design it, Danny to build it and all 3 of them to dig it. Sometimes they'll even have the other boys over to help-or maybe they could start building from their homes and they could all meet up. "How are you going to pay for the gas to run this train?" "Oh. Well it will have to be electric." "What about the electric bill? Who's going to pay that?" "Oh. Well we'll design it to work on AA batteries." As this conversation went on, I had NO idea that they were actually making REAL plans to do this!! Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between what is real and fantasy around here!
I am just thankful for the friends that God has given us, that my children are willing to move mountains (well maybe not quite mountains) to be with them.

An update on Danny. I took him back to the doctor on Monday and thankfully his arm is healing well. It hasn't slowed him down much-except it seems, when it is something he doesn't want to do! We go back again next Thurs. to evaluate whether they will put a different cast on or not.

Be looking for the new suburban subway system soon! I can just imagine how fast it will go on AA batteries! Hope they put in seat belts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, I am just crackin up over here reading this account of your kids' ideas!!! How funny and what a story to tell them in years to come. =) I didn't know Danny had gotten a cast but just knew it had to be him in the pool picture before I even read your words below. Gotta love em. I love your family! What a blessing to have a country home & such close friends for your kids to share life with!!!

Kelly said...

Bonnie! Did Danny actually break his arm the day of the baptism? Oh poor kid! I love this story of their tunnel/train system. Too cute!! xoxo

Danielle said...

That tunnel might work out nice for us too Bonnie- we can just hop on the train and get together for chocolate and talk! Maybe if Nate and Jerem start on this end it can get done quicker, kind of like the TC railroad... I love that picture of Dan in the pool- it really hasn't slowed him down one bit has it???

Linda said...

Julie was telling me about this post the other day so I had to read the full account. That's so funny. I love boys and the way God has given them a sense of adventure like that. It will be neat to see how these friendships develop in years to come. We are so blessed to have a great supply of good friends for our kids to grow with!